Area of Work: Public Housing
Campaign: 10th Anniversary of the Plan for Transformation
Clients: Chicago Housing Authority/City of Chicago/The John D. and Catherine T.
MacArthur Foundation/The Partnership for New Communities
Years of Involvement: May 2009 – January 2010
The Plan for Transformation is the largest and most ambitious redevelopment effort of public housing in the history of the United States. Beyond rehabilitating and redeveloping Chicago’s entire stock of public housing, the Plan for Transformation aims to build and strengthen communities by integrating public housing and its leaseholders into the larger social, economic, and communal fabric of Chicago. After a decade of progress and challenges, CHA and its many partners are using the 10th anniversary of the Plan for Transformation as a time to reflect on successes of the Plan and lessons learned in order to guide the Plan as it moves forward.
Creation of a multi-faceted strategy to elicit input from and draw on the experiences and insights of many partners and stakeholders in reflecting on the past, present and future of the Plan. In addition, creation of a media and outreach strategy to ensure that stakeholders, the media and the general public understand and have a positive perception of CHA’s process of reflection and movement forward.
- Planning process for 10th Anniversary activities. Engaged diverse stakeholders in inclusive planning process, including CHA, City of Chicago, The Partnership for New Communities, Habitat Company, BPI, MacArthur Foundation, CHA resident leadership, community leadership, other stakeholders and partners. Developed consensus plan for public activities
- Mixed-Income Institute. Organized conference on mixed-income housing during Chicago meeting of the Council of Large Public Housing Authorities (CLPHA)
- Research Workshop. Planned meeting of leading researchers on public housing in collaboration with other partners
- Resident Success Scholarship Breakfast. Acknowledged progress of plan, announced upcoming activities and events, honored residents’ success under Plan for Transformation
- The Plan at 10 Symposium. Organized two-day Symposium to reflect on progress of Plan, impact on individuals, families and communities, and on lessons learned. Participants included City of Chicago; CHA; HUD; Partnership for New Communities; Habitat Co; researchers; developers; financial institutions; resident leadership; local community leadership and elected representatives; and other stakeholders including media
- The Plan at 10 video. Coordinated the production of a video reflecting on the first 10 years of the Plan for Transformation
- Recommitment Ceremony (in planning). Will confirm political, corporate, civic and federal commitment to completion of Plan
- Successful engagement of a wide range of stakeholders in the 10th Anniversary planning process, leading to widespread support for the planned activities and events
- Organization of events highlighting CHA and resident successes as well as including stakeholders in an inclusive process of reflection and planning
- Preparation of CHA and its partners to plan for the Recommitment event