Area of Work: Regional Development
Client: Indiana Harbor Master Redevelopment Team – The Community Builders/Hispanic Housing Development Corporation; City of East Chicago
Years of Involvement: 2006 - 2009
Support the City of East Chicago’s comprehensive revitalization plan by working to securing funding from local, state and regional private and public entities; research potential markets and public perception of East Chicago and its revitalization efforts; and raise awareness of the City’s current and future economic, community and environmental assets.
Create a network of stakeholders through strategic outreach and events, including educational outreach, focus groups and research. Design and implement a comprehensive PR strategy including analysis of assets, earned media, public events and direct communications.
- Creation of partnerships with stakeholders, including employers, community groups, funders and local, state and regional governing bodies
- Organization of public meetings on various aspects of revitalization plan
- Design and implementation of focus group based research on current and planned revitalization projects
- Implementation of a long-term public outreach/marketing campaign, including community events, media events and direct communications
- Secured over $50 million in funding for revitalization projects in concert with redevelopment partners
- Informed future development and outreach plans through ground-up research on public perception and preference
- Raised awareness of revitalization plan among East Chicago residents and regional community